It is rightly said-Health is wealth.
A person in good physical health is likely to have his bodily functions at their peak.Healthy living is when both physical and mental health are in balance.Physical well-being involves pursuing a healthy lifestyle to decrease the risk of disease.We can be careful and avoid some of the diseases by taking necessary precautions. This requires a certain discipline in following a routine which is not difficult to achieve.There are various factors contributing to good health as mentioned below:-
1)Daily drink plenty of water — It is advisable to drink 2.5 liters of water daily as we keep losing water in the form of urine and sweat. The other advantages are-
· It delivers oxygen throughout the body, as blood is 90 percent water and carries water to different parts of the body.
· It takes care of skin, health and beauty.
· Minerals and nutrients dissolve in water, making it possible for them to reach different parts of the body.
· Water performs other important functions like flushing bacteria from bladder, aiding digestion and preventing constipation.
2) Have breakfast daily- When you skip breakfast you are indicating to your body to conserve energy, as food may be hard to come by. This slows your metabolism and the body stores fats.
Having breakfast daily you jump start the metabolism. It provides the body with nutrients to stay healthy and by having a high quality breakfast, you can improve your memory and concentration levels.
3) Have proteins in food — These foods have high content of protein-Eggs, chicken breast, oats,cotton cheese, milk, broccoli, tuna fish, shrimp, lentils etc. Proteins keep us feeling fuller for a longer time, resulting in consuming fewer calories as a result of not being hungry soon after we eat. It reduces the level of hunger hormone Ghrelin. Protein takes longer to break in the body than carbohydrates,so the energy you get from protein will last longer. If you desire a glowing skin eating protein food is a great idea. Another benefit is that a high protein diet can improve bone health by improving the bones calcium retention.
4) Having food throughout the day — Eating every 3–4 hours is the key to getting both your mind and body enthused and fit through the day. Structuring your day to eating smaller, more frequent meals will keep you energized and aid in keeping your metabolism working at the highest levels. It will also stop you from overeating during one meal.
5) Reduce intake of salt — The benefits of reducing salt intake are-
· High salt intake is associated with increased blood pressure and increased risk of heart attack. Lowering salt intake can lower the risk of heart attack and stroke.
· By reducing salt you will start eating healthier and lose real weight.
· The other organs will be healthier. High blood pressure can damage kidneys and lead to kidney failure.
· You will not need blood pressure medications.
6) Reduce intake of sugar- This can be beneficial in following ways-
· Reduces risk of obesity and cardiovascular diseases.
· Reduces risk of diabetes.
· Improves your skin and decelerates signs of ageing.
· Good for teeth.
7) Avoid junk food- Junk foods are devoid of nutrients which could have serious health consequences for the body. It lowers appetite, increases risk of cancer, impairs digestion, increases weight gain and elevates heart disease risk.
8) Vegetable soup-In order to reduce weight you can have vegetable soup before meals. This intake will reduce calories by 20%.
9) Keep a food diary. At the start of each year people resolve to improve their health and loose weight. These attempts most often fail. Keeping a food diary will help you understand your eating habits; the food that may be good or not good, as well as provide a measurable result.
10) Eat food slowly — In modern life there is lot of stress and we rush through everything. When we get time to eat, we gobble down everything. This leads to unhealthy living. Reasons to eat slowly are-
· It’s hard to enjoy the food if you eat too fast.
· Eating slower, you will chew the food better, leading to better digestion.
· Be at the moment, rather than thinking of what to do next. This would lead to a less stressful life, bringing more happiness.
11) Have dinner on time-When you eat late you don’t give your digestive system enough time to digest the food. There should be substantial amount of time before you have dinner and go to sleep. If you eat late, this time gap is reduced, leading to indigestion and heartburn.
Eating late and going to sleep immediately can lead to digestive problems, resulting in an uneasy night, thereby disturbing the sleep pattern.
12) Use less of oil, butter, cheese and cream in your food.
13) Use olive oil for cooking. Studies show that olive oil boosts heart health. It also has a protective impact on brain’s blood vessels, thereby preventing or slowing down the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
14) Avoid having carbohydrates in the night food. If you diet consists of excessive carbohydrates there are chances that your blood glucose level will shoot up. Foods having carbohydrates are associated with obesity and heart diseases.
If you have carbohydrates in the morning, you are likely to burn the glucose during the days activities. During night there is less activity and the excess glucose isn’t burnt leading to storing the extra sugar in the form of fats. This can result in diseases like type-2 diabetes.
15) For the same reasons you should not eat again after having dinner.
16) Go to sleep at around the same time daily and have a peaceful sleep. Poor sleep can reduce the work performance the next day.
17) Avoid caffeine or alcohol in the evening. They make it hard for you to fall asleep and wake you up in the middle of night.
18) Do good things to others. This will provide you mental satisfaction.
19) Quit smoking. There any many health consequences of smoking. It contributes to type-2 diabetes, erectile dysfunction, hip fractures due to loss of bone density, lung cancer, fertility issues for women and gum disease.
20) Do yoga daily. There are many advantages of doing yoga-
· Yoga is known for its ability to reduce stress and promotes relaxation.
· Improves heart health.
· Improves quality of life.
· Helps reduce chronic pain.
· Promotes sleep quality.
· Improves breathing.
· Increases flexibility and balance.
21) Consume nuts. They are nutritious, healthy and loaded with magnesium and vitamin-E.
22) Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables contain minerals and vitamins that your body cannot produce on its own. This keeps you energized. They also contain fiber helping in normal digestion.
23) Use herbs and spices- They are providers of nutrients, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory agents,vitamins and minerals.
24) Maintain a work life balance as over commitment leads to stress and burnout.
25) Maintain a healthy body weight.It relates to height, age and gender. Body mass index helps to determine if you have a healthy weight.
Being overweight result in diabetes, heart diseases, high blood pressure and liver diseases. If you gain weight a good advise is to become more active.
In the end it can't be emphasized more that the responsibility of being healthy lies with us.Without it how can one appreciate the beauty of each day and acknowledge the delight of being with family and friends.With bad health no one would be able to work productively,thereby reducing chances of being successful in life.