Convenient to use, Stasher bags should replace plastic bags.
I have to admit one thing. I always had a liking for plastic bags. They are convenient to carry and can handle the normal shopping load.
But the bitter truth is that plastic is dangerous to our environment. We have to reduce the use of plastic to make this planet more habitable. Plastic is not biodegradable and can remain at a place for years. If not disposed properly it can seep into the oceans thereby affecting the marine environment and the creatures lining in the deep oceans.
The government too has introduced penalty on single use plastic bags. This set me looking for a nice replacement. This is when I heard of Stasher bags. My search yielded some good results of finding an environment friendly way to store food and leftovers.
You may want to keep your snacks crunchy and shudder at the thought of chemicals entering your food when they are heated in plastic. You might also want to freeze fried rice, or sliced fruits in something other than plastic which is much safer.
The answer to all this is the silicon bag. In the last four years these airtight, dishwasher safe, reusable bags have saved millions of pieces of plastic from landing in landfills, and ultimately landing in oceans when not handled carefully.
Stasher bags are made of 100 percent food grade silicone, which is a durable and easy to clean material.
Silicone bags have following characteristics:
· Temperature resistant-
The food storage bags that fit your needs have to be temperature resistant. This implies that you would be happy to purchase material that could be placed in a microwave oven and freezer withstanding heat and cold. Silicone bags completely fit the bill.
Silicone is much tougher that the normal plastic bags, which makes them a good option as food storage bags.
· Leak proof-
Silicone bags are airtight and fully leak-proof. It leaves a very bad taste when you find that the bag in which you have stored juice or soup has leaked and the liquid has spilled all over the refrigerator.
· Dishwater safe-
They are safe in a dishwasher. This solves the problem of cleaning these reusable bags.They are ready to be used again after being put in dishwasher.
Now let us consider the case of Eco friendly Stasher bags. Founded by Kat Nouri with a background in designing and developing silicone textiles, this was the world’s first patented self-sealing platinum silicone storage bag. Being appalled by the amount of plastic waste being created daily, she created an alternative.
“Business has the power to be a champion for society and the environment,” says Nouri
With her efforts she created a totally unique and revolutionary product.
Stasher bags are made from platinum silicone, which does not degrade over time. It can last in microwave oven, dishwasher and freezer, thereby reducing the use of single use plastics which harm our land and oceans.
These bags have passed the U.S. and Canadian food safety standards, and the strict guidelines of the European Union food safety standard. They are completely free of BPA, BPS, lead, latex and phthalates. Even the colorants used as dye are completely safe for food.
If you go through their Instagram page you would be bowled over by the photos of colorfully arranged fridges and clean kitchen drawers. Healthy fresh fruit and vegetables packed in silicone bags,Stasher projects an image of a clean and clutter free life, away from plastics.
Stasher bags come in five sizes and 20 colors. The five sizes are-
Pocket size(3.5x4.5x1 in., 4 ounce) Stand-Up triangular bottom bag(8.5x7x3.5in, 56 ounces) Snack Bag(7.5x4.5x1,9.9ounce), Half gallon for sous vide(8.5x10.25x1.5 in, 64.2 ounce) and Sandwich bag(7.5x7x1in,15 ounce).
It is much better than its other silicone competitors available in market. If you close them properly they will never leak.
The stand-up bag is perfect for storing nuts, beans, grains and seeds; though it occupies more space.Another perk; herbs, lettuces and other delicate goods stay smush-free thanks to its roomy shape.
If you plan using the bags for freezer storage, I will recommend sandwich shape and if you plan to use them to transport snacks to work or for school use; the stand-up type.
The tiny pocket-sized Stasher bag can be used to store cheese bits.
The sandwich bag is also perfect for storing leftover green beans, chicken breast or even sliced cheese for sandwiches.
Half-gallon sized is the largest bag they make and it’s good for to store sous vide things, as it can hold over 64 ounces.
After months of use you would find them in good condition as they can withstand microwave, sous-vide cooking and can be kept in freezer, after plenty of washing carried out.
They should be washed with a soft brush.
Important Features of silicone Stasher bags-
· Can be reused again and again. Quite long lasting and durable.
· They are Flexible.
· These bags can withstand high temperatures. Stasher bags are safe for use in the microwave, sous vide machine, standard oven, or a pot of boiling water — up to 200 degree C. Also perfect for reheating items in the oven — simply leave the seal open, place on baking sheet or oven-safe pan, and place directly in oven.
· They don’t leach chemicals.
· Made of high quality silicone.
· The company has high standards for quality and takes care of environment. They are a certified B-corp.
· Easy to wash and are safe in freezer, microwave and dishwasher.
· Stasher bags have an airtight seal. Once your food is in your stasher bag, gently remove air and ‘burp’ the bag then fold over and use the pinch-lock seal to make an airtight closure. This airtight seal on your bag locks in nutrients, flavors, and juices so your food always tastes fresh and delicious. It will also stop things from drying out and going stale.
· Stasher bags are hypo allergenic. Their non-porous silicone surface helps to inhibit bacterial growth, mold, and germs.
Uses of silicone Stasher bag-
· You can leave the bag open and cook vegetables in the microwave.
· Marinate vegetables, meat or fish in the refrigerator.
· Store meat portions in the freezer.
· Leftovers will be fresh in the refrigerator.
· The seal makes it possible to keep juicy foods and chopped fruits.
· Medical supplies can be kept and used as a travel first aid kit.
· Can be used to steam fresh or frozen vegetable. Seal vegetables, spices, herbs and a little water. Put the bag in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes. You will not lose any of the vegetable nutrients in the water.
Used in sous vide cooking. Sous vide is a popular slow cooking technique that seals in flavor and nutrients.
· Can be used to store phone, wallets and keys when at a picnic spot.
· Can carry lunch, and prevents the sandwich bread from getting stale.
· You can keep cheese fresh in the fridge.
There are other silicone bags too available in the market which is cheaper. But they are not as good,convenient and durable. From the time after using the Stasher bags, I am happy with the results. The other satisfaction that I get is of environment conservation; with the added bonus of keeping the food safe and healthy.