Charity begins at home. Be healthy and ensure society too is healthy.
International food day is celebrated on 16th October in honor of founding of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in 1945; in Quebec, Canada. It was first celebrated in the year 1980.Most of the themes till now have revolved around agriculture because if we produce more,there would be less chances of shortages of food. This year the theme for the World Food Day is Grow,Nourish, Sustain. Together.
On this day if we wish, we can take a pledge to achieve dual objectives, one for the welfare of the society and second for our own health. First we will discuss how we can be helpful and support the welfare of our society, which in turn could be beneficial to the entire humanity:
· Store fruits, raw vegetables and other edibles properly. Don’t waste food and cook as per your appetite.
· Reduce food wastage in parties.
· Every state should have food banks. The government should ensure this.
· Encourage your friends and relatives to donate to the food banks.
· If you have extra food doesn’t throw it away. If possible feed the hungry.
· Fast for one day in a fortnight. Keep taking lukewarm water throughout the day,take light food at the end of the day and deposit the saved food in a food bank.
· Don’t overindulge in food and eat mindfully.
Which camp do you belong?I belong to the camp of mushroom lovers.
I still remember the days we were small kids. It has been a few decades now, but some of the memories still persist…
· Around 805 million people i.e. one in nine persons worldwide, live in chronic hunger and 60% of these are women. It is our duty to help them.
Search for events and activities in your local community, town or country. Events are held in 150 countries. You can attend conferences, seminars, and exhibitions held by government agencies, charities, schools and Universities.
Donate food to a local food drive. There are hunger and food packaging rallies worldwide. Create awareness.
· Our planet produces enough food to feed every person. But 1.3 billion tons of food is wasted annually. Millions of people suffer the health consequences of malnourishment which stunts their growth.
Food systems should be made more resilient and robust so they can withstand volatility and a sustainable healthy diet can be delivered to everyone.
· The UN is making efforts on its part. The UN development target 2.2, aims to meet the internationally agreed targets on stunting of children under 5 years by 2025. 45% of deaths among children under 5 years of age are linked to under nutrition.
UN sustainable development targets 2.3 and 2.4 aim to promote local small scale food production and implementation of sustainable agricultural practices using community based approach.
How I learnt to cook in two months.
When I think of the past, good old days come to my mind. Social media was not yet born and we used to prefer…
We have discussed as to what can be done for the society. Now there is a pledge we can take to maintain good health for ourselves. Remember a healthy mind is there in a healthy body.
In the last few decades as a result of urbanization we have changed our eating habits and have moved away from fiber-rich dishes to fats, starch and processed foods.
As a result of both the spouses working in many homes,there is less time for cooking and people rely on restaurants, street food and fast food outlets. The unhealthy diets have increased obesity rate in developed as well as developing countries.
For good health the measures listed below should be adopted:
· Eat three meals a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
· Food consumption should consist of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low fat milk proteins.
· Incorporate meat, fish, eggs and nuts into your diet.
· Eat food that is low in fats, cholesterol and salt.
· Avoid junk food.
· Avoid too much sugar.
· Don’t pamper the children with too much of chocolates.
· Uncooked foods like fruits and vegetables should be thoroughly washed with water before consumption.
· People with diabetes should try to keep blood glucose level close to normal.
· Be physically active.
· Avoid smoking.
· Get enough sleep.
· Drink alcohol in moderation.
· Exercise daily.
· Manage stress well.
· Drink plenty of water daily.
· Meditate to calm your soul.
· Eat fruit and vegetables of different color. Keep a balanced diet and improve immunity system.
· Eat small meal every 4 hours. This evens out the body energy system .
· Cut down on deep fried food.
· Cut down on syrupy cool drinks.
· Go organic. Eat food free of pesticides and chemicals.
· Keep away from smokers. Avoid passive smoking.
· Get regular checkups done to ensure good health.
· Maintain good dental hygiene.
· Get together with friends once a week. This will divert your mind and reduce stress.
These are some of the recommendations to help the needy and maintain our health. Even if everyone does their bit by starting small, the world will become a better place.